A new outreach effort that Bear Smart Durango undertook in 2012 is the Spring Bear Wake-Up Social. This educational and awareness event was designed as a reminder to residents that bears were out of hibernation and for them to begin practicing Bear Smart measures. The theme for the event is: “The bears are awake. Are you?” The event typically features kid’s activities, live music, informational booths, beer and wine, food and more! Major funding for previous events have been generously provided by Coutts and Clark Western Foundation, Colorado Parks & Wildlife Museum Volunteers and Red Willow Production Co.
This years event takes place Saturday, June 6th from 11 AM-4 PM at Rotary Park in Durango.
Educational components to the event have included:
- Examples of electric fencing by Agritek Fencing and Gallagher
- Kid’s activities including a “Bear Scat” Eating Contest
- Bear-resistant container examples
- Bear spray demonstrations
- Informational booths
- Onstage vendor talks on services provided
- Slideshow presentations by authors Laura Pritchett and David Petersen
Event participants have included Agritek Fencing, Gallagher Fence, Durango Nature Studies, Frosty Pines Wilderness Education Center, Healthy Food Communities, CSU Extensions, Living with Wildlife Advisory Board of La Plata County, Backcountry Experience, Wolfwood Refuge, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Maria’s Bookshop, Phoenix Recycling, WCA Transit Waste, Waste Management and the City of Durango.
- Photos from the 2013 Spring Bear Wake-Up Social.
- Photos from the 2012 Spring Bear Wake-Up Social.